Thursday 19 April 2012

Snip Those Plastic Rings and Ties

I always cut those plastic 6-pack rings before recycling them so that they don't accidentally get caught around the neck of a bird or animal, should they for some reason not make it to the recycling plant.  Newspapers and magazines also come bundled in a plastic tie, albeit a much bigger one.

Today when out for a walk, one of those plastic ties for bundles of newspapers crossed my path.

I was walking quite quickly when all of a sudden ... face-plant!  I tripped by entangling my feet in a plastic tie.

Luckily, I broke my fall with knees and the heels of my hands before landing on my teeth and cheek! 

So I spent half of the day looking like this. As you can see, there is nothing broken and I escaped with a scraped knee, sore teeth and some bruises.

I wore the skirt I altered back in January - it fits nicely and is very comfy.  It looked to be a rainy day, so I wore my knee-high Docs also.

I also wore excellent tights that I got in Spain from a shop called Calcedonia.  They are triple-stitched and have a nice wide band across the tummy so they don't bind.

Unfortunately, the fall completely wrecked them:
I didn't bother to buy new ones, just pulled the torn ones right over the dressing.  I wonder if there is some way to salvage them?  Hmm ...

8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your fall! It's so upsetting. But I'm glad you're okay. It would be a shame to have to ditch the tights. Maybe if you could sew a knit patch in a contrasting colour, mustard or red, over each knee area for balance you could give them new life...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie! I actually was thinking of sewing something overtop - not sure what though ...

      Delete
  2. Wow. I had no idea the plastic rings could be so deadly. Sorry about your fall and the tights. Here's an idea, wear a pair of intact tights under the ruined ones for the holey effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila: I was so paranoid today looking down at the ground for more plastic rings! I have seen those ripped up tights but don't think I could carry it off.

      Delete
  3. That's too bad about the tights, but it is good that you weren't hurt. I read about all the plastic collecting in the ocean and elsewhere...and I know on Pinterest I am always on the lookout for ideas and ways to recycle some of it into useful things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri: Oh, there's supposed to be a big island of plastic somewhere in the ocean that is bigger than Texas!

      Delete
  4. Omg Narda! I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. That's awful. Ouch! Glad to hear your injuries weren't severe. That sucks about your tights. No clue how to mend them but Style Agent and Melanie seem to have good ideas. I hate plastic and try not to purchase too much of it, but it still creeps into my home. I recently saw a documentary called Bag It and it talks about the Gyre you're talking about. I heard it's now twice the size of texas. It's insane. It's scary and sad that not enough people seem to care about it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Karla: I have an idea for the tights that might work - maybe just wear them for longer skirts!

      Delete